Monday, February 06, 2006

Mom...I have a cheese cracker in my ear...


Yes..those are the words that I heard come out of Riley's mouth at 11:30 pm on Friday evening. Of course my response is "how in the world did you get a cheese cracker in your ear???" Riley proceeded to explain to me how he was just lying down for his nap at preschool and the cracker jumped right off the table and into his ear. What do you do at 11:30 pm with a child who has a cracker in his ear????? We have dealt with the french fry up the nose dilemma before (thanks Taylor), Riley having swallowed a battery before, but never an object lodged in the ear. I didn't even know how to begin to remove a cheese cracker from his ear. Jeff was flying nights so he was no help! I dug out my "Taking Care of your Child' book and checked, but no section on removing a cracker from you ear. I couldn't even see the cracker in his ear so I had no clue how to remove it. I finally decided the next step would be call the advice nurse and see what she recommended. Of course, she got a good laugh out of it and after asking me what seemed like a hundred different questions she came to the conclusion that since it wasn't bleeding he was safe to wait until Monday to see the doctor. What a relief.....who wants to make a trip to the ER at 11:3o on a Friday evening to have a cracker removed.....definitely not me!!! Well....to end the story...Riley went to the doctor this afternoon and they safely removed the cheese cracker from his ear. Yes...it really was in there and had started to break down inside there. Of course his ear was quite irritated from the cracker and he has an infection in the ear due to the cracker, but they got him all cleaned out and on some antibiotics and ear drops and he should be feeling better soon. All the time he stuck to his story that it just jumped off the table and into his ear!!!!Hopefully, this is the last cracker in the ear incident that we have for awhile.

No comments: